Skip to main content

Crime and Punishment Discussion Question

One of the aspects of Crime and Punishment I find most confusing is the relationship between Raskolnikov and Sonya. Throughout the entire book I never really understood how or why Sonya fell for Raskolnikov. Even after he reveals to her that he is the murder she still is wants to be a part of her life. One quote this is obvious in is in Part 5:

""Then you won't leave me, Sonya?"  he said "No, no, never, nowhere!" cried Sonya "I will follow you everywhere, wherever you go!"" (pg. 391).

What did Raskolnikov done to deserve this kind of devotion? Has he ever shown her even a little bit of kindness? Does she only feel devoted to him because of the financial and emotional support he gave her family or does she legitimately love him?

Comments

  1. I agree, I've been very confused about Sonya's dedication to Raskolnikov. The only reason I could think of that she eventually followed him to Siberia was that she didn't really have anything left in St. Petersburg, but even before that she was devoting herself to him and saying she would follow him anywhere. Raskolnikov benefits much more from their relationship than Sonya does, because she actually helps him while he is just cruel to her. I can't really come up with a reasonable explanation for it, but we don't get to see much into Sonya's mind since the story is mostly from Raskolnikov's perspective, so maybe there is something else going on with her character that we don't see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January MOR: A Midsummer Night's Dream

Dearest Britt, I’m so glad we finally get to read another book together and send each other these letters. Writing down my ideas like this snail mail style really helps me form new ideas and opinions about the book we’re reading. The first thing I noticed and appreciated about A Midsummer Night’s Dream was its vastly different setting and time period from the other plays William Shakespeare wrote. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is set in ancient Greece and mentions ancient Greek heroes like Hercules and the Amazons. Ready a Shakespeare play that doesn’t take place in Elizabethan England is refreshing and makes me instantly more interested in the story and the characters its about. One of the other first things I noticed about this play is how poorly the women are treated. Early on in Act 1 Scene 1 Egeus comes to Theseus seeking advice regarding his daughter’s love life. She has fallen in love with one man and despite his merit, benevolence, and high social standing, her father wants her ...
DEATH OF A SALESMAN: BIOGRAPHICAL CRITICISM Arthur Miller’s play Death of A Salesman addresses complicated historic topics such as the American dream, the growth of capitalism, and the difficulties of the typical suburban family. Some of the most delicate and difficult parts of Miler’s life are also reflected in the work such his complicated relationship with his relatives (the man who inspired the character Willy), the affects the Great Depression had on him and his family, and his eventual relationship with Marilyn Monroe.   Author Arthur Asher Miller  was born October 17, 1915 in Harlem, New York. He was the second of 3 children to a wealthy middle-class family and lived a comfortable life until the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 when his family lost everything, just like everybody else in the country. As a teenager, Miller had to work two jobs while he attended school to help support his family and save up enough money for his college tuition. During the Great Depres...

Fahrenheit 451 - Letter #3

To Whom it May Concern, You’re 100% right, Captain Beatty is a shifty fellow and his vast knowledge of literature and books is suspicious. I seems like he has enough power to break the law and get away with it so I think that Captain Beatty might have a personal library of his own that he is hiding. One of the most interesting things about Beatty is his logical description of how books became illegal in the first place. Beatty tells Guy that the reason books were banned was because people began to get offended by ideas that conflicted with their own so they wanted to get rid of those “offensive” books. This partial censorship lead to total censorship and the outlawing of all literature. I find this particular discussion really interesting because I feel like something similar to this could eventually happen in our world if society continues to prioritize being “politically correct” in all circumstances. Captain Beatty and Milly’s eventual betrayal of Guy isn’t surprising at all bu...