The quote I chose is from the scene where Creon decrees to the people that Eteocles deserves a proper, respectful burial and that Polynices will not be allowed a traditional burial because he is a traitor. The Chorus replies by saying:
Dearest Britt, I’m so glad we finally get to read another book together and send each other these letters. Writing down my ideas like this snail mail style really helps me form new ideas and opinions about the book we’re reading. The first thing I noticed and appreciated about A Midsummer Night’s Dream was its vastly different setting and time period from the other plays William Shakespeare wrote. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is set in ancient Greece and mentions ancient Greek heroes like Hercules and the Amazons. Ready a Shakespeare play that doesn’t take place in Elizabethan England is refreshing and makes me instantly more interested in the story and the characters its about. One of the other first things I noticed about this play is how poorly the women are treated. Early on in Act 1 Scene 1 Egeus comes to Theseus seeking advice regarding his daughter’s love life. She has fallen in love with one man and despite his merit, benevolence, and high social standing, her father wants her ...
I think this quote could be very useful in the trial, it very clearly clarifies that burying her brother is illegal. So, by using this quote, shouldn`t Antigone easily be seen as guilty?
ReplyDeleteThese are tough questions, as both sides have reasonable arguments. For Antigone's right, well, I personally don't think she does. She should absolutely be convicted whether or not she had the right though, as she broke the law of the king. We as Christians can look to Romans 13:1-5 for what our actions should be. The government was placed by God, and it is our duty to obey it.
ReplyDelete