Skip to main content

Fahrenheit 451 - Letter #4


Wassup Homie G?

I think it’s impossible for the members of this futuristic society to make real relationships in this type of environment. They’re encouraged by their leaders to devote all their time and energy into the technological world around them and that makes it practically impossible to create real relationships with those around them. I think this is the main reason why Guy decides to leave his life in the city. The emptiness and uselessness he feels in his current lifestyle leaves him yearning for something deeper and more real. I don’t think his departure from society really has anything to do with his love for literature or his need for justice. At the end of the day, Guy is hoping that the books will bring meaning to his life. The old professors and intellectuals he meets while running away in the wilderness kind of encourage this idea through the way they idolize literature. This makes sense because their old careers were built around books and teaching and because books do have the change to people and opinions but I don’t think they should give books this much power. The books aren’t going to give Guy’s life meaning, he needs to do that for himself. So, when Guy and the professors suggest that they should bring books back to help the people after the city is destroyed in the war, I don’t think that will be the final solution. Yes, books are an important part of society and allow people to express their ideas but are they really all the society needs? I think that this futuristic society is going to need a lot more than just books to rebuild itself after the war. What do you think? I really enjoyed this book, it helped me to view books differently and to not take the freedoms I have for granted. Hope you liked it too my home skillet, peace out to all the playas in the club.

Comments

  1. Good focus on the implications of character relationships and development through the story. Interesting note--when Bradbury rewrote this book as a play, he actually did give Beatty a hidden personal library (which Beatty doesn't actually read, because it's only illegal if you read the books--he removes their power by owning them but ignoring them). On the are books all they need question, Faber defines what Montag really seeks as not the books themselves but the "texture" of information and depth of thought that books invite. I wonder what you two thought of the fact that Beatty almost asks Montag to kill him? With your keen character insight, I think you might have some thoughts there. In these entries, please remember to focus on analysis over plot (because you've both read the plot) and to analyze at least one quotation per entry. Thanks! Grade on Portals. (P.S. It's easier for me to read your back-and-forth if all entries are posted on one person's blog, but this way was ok.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January MOR: A Midsummer Night's Dream

Dearest Britt, I’m so glad we finally get to read another book together and send each other these letters. Writing down my ideas like this snail mail style really helps me form new ideas and opinions about the book we’re reading. The first thing I noticed and appreciated about A Midsummer Night’s Dream was its vastly different setting and time period from the other plays William Shakespeare wrote. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is set in ancient Greece and mentions ancient Greek heroes like Hercules and the Amazons. Ready a Shakespeare play that doesn’t take place in Elizabethan England is refreshing and makes me instantly more interested in the story and the characters its about. One of the other first things I noticed about this play is how poorly the women are treated. Early on in Act 1 Scene 1 Egeus comes to Theseus seeking advice regarding his daughter’s love life. She has fallen in love with one man and despite his merit, benevolence, and high social standing, her father wants her ...
DEATH OF A SALESMAN: BIOGRAPHICAL CRITICISM Arthur Miller’s play Death of A Salesman addresses complicated historic topics such as the American dream, the growth of capitalism, and the difficulties of the typical suburban family. Some of the most delicate and difficult parts of Miler’s life are also reflected in the work such his complicated relationship with his relatives (the man who inspired the character Willy), the affects the Great Depression had on him and his family, and his eventual relationship with Marilyn Monroe.   Author Arthur Asher Miller  was born October 17, 1915 in Harlem, New York. He was the second of 3 children to a wealthy middle-class family and lived a comfortable life until the Great Wall Street Crash of 1929 when his family lost everything, just like everybody else in the country. As a teenager, Miller had to work two jobs while he attended school to help support his family and save up enough money for his college tuition. During the Great Depres...

Fahrenheit 451 - Letter #3

To Whom it May Concern, You’re 100% right, Captain Beatty is a shifty fellow and his vast knowledge of literature and books is suspicious. I seems like he has enough power to break the law and get away with it so I think that Captain Beatty might have a personal library of his own that he is hiding. One of the most interesting things about Beatty is his logical description of how books became illegal in the first place. Beatty tells Guy that the reason books were banned was because people began to get offended by ideas that conflicted with their own so they wanted to get rid of those “offensive” books. This partial censorship lead to total censorship and the outlawing of all literature. I find this particular discussion really interesting because I feel like something similar to this could eventually happen in our world if society continues to prioritize being “politically correct” in all circumstances. Captain Beatty and Milly’s eventual betrayal of Guy isn’t surprising at all bu...